2018-2019 Energy Assistance Program
We strongly suggest you make payments on your utility bill on a monthly basis.
Vanderburgh County Application Site
- Application by appointment only. 401 SE 6th St. STE 001–Walker BLDG. (former Welborn hospital)
CAPE entrance located on Cherry Street side of the building – Look for the red door. (812) 492-3928 or (812) 425-4241
- Customers with “return slips” must return Monday thru Thursday before 11 am
Posey & Gibson Counties
- Mail-in applications only – pick up application at cap offices:
1113 Main St. Mt. Vernon (812) 838-4839 or 115 N. Prince St. Princeton (812) 386-6576
- Applications also available at: Mt. Vernon, Princeton & Black Township Trustee Office in Posey County.
Households with all utilities included in rent do qualify for this program this year.
- Utility bill must be in the name of a current household member age 18 or older, the landlord or power of attorney or if you owe an old bill you can’t pay you can fill out a utility affidavit.
- If a household member is 18 years of age and still in high school, you must provide a current letter stating attendance, a current class schedule or a current report card
- Home-ownership will be verified
Total household income for the past 12 months must be at or below the following:
Number in Household Income
1 – $23,732
2 – $31,034
3 – $38,336
4 – $45,638
5 – $52,940
6 – $60,242
You must have proof of income or no income for all household members age 18 and over for the past 12 months, your utility bill with the account number, actual social security cards for all household members and the applicant’s photo id or your application will not be completed.
EAP Program Customer Checklist
- APPLICATION: All household members must be listed. Failure to include all persons living in your household is considered fraud. Fraud can result in a denial of assistance or repayment of any assistance received. Make sure to complete questions and sign & date the application.
- SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER VERIFICATION: SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS FOR ALL HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS.
- If you cannot provide your social security card, the following documents may be used along with a government issued photo ID:
- Family Demographic (Office of Family and Children)
- FSSA benefit letter
- Military or Government Identification or Benefit Statement
- W-2’s (For social security number purposes only)
- A birth confirmation letter from the hospital may be used for children under 1 that do not have a social security card yet.
- DRIVER’S LICENSE/PICTURE ID: A State-issued photo ID for the applicant.
- VETERAN: Please provide documentation such as a DD Form 214 or Veteran’s Administration Identification Card (VIC).
- INCOME INFORMATION: all adults in the household 18 and older must provide proof of income.
- WAGE INQUIRY (WorkOne no longer hands out Wage Inquiries.)
- Please complete the enclosed “Indiana Workforce Development Release of Information” for each household member 18 and older in the household. This form may be copied if more than one is needed. One form per household member 18 and older.
- Please provide your most recent pay-stub.
- Please provide your final pay-stub if you have worked within the last 5 months and are no longer employed with that employer.
- Social Security Benefits (SSI, SSDI, SSD, SSA) /VA PENSION/VETERAN’S BENEFIT
- Current Award Letter: Must be dated within the current year. An award letter dated over a year old will not be accepted.
- Current Bank Statement: Statement must clearly show “United States Treasury deposit” and whom it belongs to. The bank statement cannot be marked out for any reason.
- Pension: Most Recent Check Stub OR Current Pension Award Letter
- Self Employed: Completed IRS form 1040 page 1 & 2, Schedule C page 1 & 2 and SE if applies for previous tax year
- CHILD SUPPORT: Proof of child support payments (Payee’s only).* Court documents or proof of payment on check stub*
- WAGE INQUIRY (WorkOne no longer hands out Wage Inquiries.)
- ZERO INCOME VERIFICATION AFFIDAVIT/CASH INCOME: If anyone in the household has had 1 month and/or more of no income, this form must be filled out. One form per each household member.
- HOUSING INFORMATION:
- Own: Proof of Ownership (Property Tax Documentation, Land Contract, Mortgage Statement, or Mobile Home Title).
- Rent: Anyone who has utilities included in their rent or utilities in someone else’s name will have to have a landlord affidavit filled out.
- Anyone else does not have to have a landlord affidavit filled out. All Landlord affidavits must be completed by the Landlord.
- **New this year; if you are behind in your rent or being evicted and your utilities are included in rent, you will not qualify for our program**
- UTILITY BILLS:
- Current Electric Statement (The Lower Portion of the Bill that you mail back to the vendor will not be accepted.)
- Current Complete Gas Statement.
- Current LP/Oil Invoice *The invoice must show name, vendor name, acct #, service address, budget billing.*
- ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION:
- As each application is case by case, additional documentation may be requested.
ANY missing information may delay decisions regarding your eligibility and benefit amount. Your application will be processed as quickly as possible, however, in the beginning of the season this could take several weeks. You will receive a letter when your application is completed. Failure to provide required documents may result in delay or denial of your application.
What can you use for verification of income?
Last Check Stub – You need your last check stub if you have been employed full time at the same job for the past 3 months –otherwise, you need your WorkOne printout for the past 12 months and your current check stub. if you worked more than one job in past 3 months, we need the WorkOne printout (all wage printouts are pulled through CAPE – DO NOT go to WorkOne)
WorkOne Wage Printout + Last Pay-stub you will need both if you have not been at your current job for the past 3 months (all wage printouts are pulled through CAPE – DO NOT go to WorkOne)
WorkOne wage printout & unemployment printout if you are not currently employed or if you drew unemployment in the past 3 months
Workman’s comp or short term disability check stubs for workman’s comp and a work one-wage printout if you drew workman’s comp or disability during the past 3 months
Social security award letter if you draw social security, disability or SSI you need your 2018 award letter, printout or a 2018 direct deposit bank statement with the recipient’s name on it.
Pension or veteran’s benefits 2018 award letter or printouts
TANF and Child Support are not counted
Self employed tax forms filed during for current year
You will also need:
- Social Security cards for all household members (no copies –can use social security office printout and medicare card for soc security number)
- applicant’s photo id
- All renters – cape landlord affidavit filled out by landlord; signed by landlord & tenant
- Current utility bill must be in the name of household member age 18 years or older or landlord or power of attorney
- All services are provided without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, or status as a veteran