Frequently Asked Questions

You might have a question that many other people have asked. To help you get answers fast, here are some of the questions we hear most often and our answers to them. If the answer you need isn’t here, please call us at 812-425-4241. We will be happy to help you.

How long does an application for employment with CAPE stay on file?
There may be various employment opportunities available at CAPE which the Human Resources staff can identify through your completed employment application. Once you have submitted your application to the Human Resources Department, it is kept on file for a period of six months.

A potential new employer and a loan company are requesting information regarding a previous or current CAPE employee. Who do they contact?
Any information on a previous or current CAPE employee, for employment opportunities or financial matters, must be submitted in writing to the Finance Department at 401 S.E. 6th Street, Suite 001, Evansville Indiana, 47713.

What information do I need to apply for Energy Assistance?

  • Proof of income or NO income in the household for everyone 18 years and older for the past 12 months – persons may receive proof of employment/unemployment income by showing positive ID in person at the WORK ONE office at 700.
  • East Walnut Street. Persons 18 and over with NO Income during the past 12 months must ALSO get proof of NO Income from the Work One offices.
  • Current utility bill showing account number.
  • Social Security cards for all household members.
  • List of birthdates for all household members (Birth certificates not needed).
  • Households with utilities already disconnected must show proof that deposit has been paid or proof of deposit payment by another agency.