Water Bill Assistance Program

A collaborative service provided by
Home Serve – CAPE – Evansville Water & Sewer Utility

Application site:

CAPE office – 401 S.E. 6th Street Suite 001 (entrance on Cherry Street side of building)


RaShawnda Bonds, Director of Planning – (812) 492-3941
Make an appointment, verify qualifications, ensure funding is available

  • One-time assistance every 12 months may be provided to income-qualified customers of Evansville Water & Sewer Utility
  • Water bill must be in disconnect status or already disconnected for no longer than 12 months. Limited assistance with shut-off amount only up to $250.00
  • Water bill must be in name of household member age 18 years or older, landlord or Power of Attorney

Required Application Items:

  • Proof of last 12 month’s income for all household members age 18 years and older (most recent check stub with year to date; award letters or monthly bank statement for VA / Social Security / SSI; most recent filed tax form for self-employed customers; printout for TANF recipients)
  • Social Security cards for all household members (copies accepted)
  • List of birthdates for all household members
  • Evansville Water & Sewer Utility bill
  • Renters must provide current lease listing household members or have landlord complete a CAPE Landlord Affidavit. Homeowners must provide proof of home ownership (tax paper, home insurance proof, etc.)

Total household income for past 12 months must be at or below the following:

Household Members Annual Income